Sunday, December 19, 2010

The role, function and significance of Egdon Heath with attitudes of various characters to it.

Symbolic of Hardy’s philosophy: RN has been called “The Book of Egdon Heath”. With most of the other novels of Hardy, the scene could be transposed to other part of Wessex without affecting the story except RETURN OF THE NATIVE where Egdon Heath is the dominant factor. Wessex was an old name for a territory in the south-west of England. Hardy revived this name for a region of which he himself was a native.
Hardy’s picture of Wessex is the most elaborate study of landscape in English Literature. No one before Hardy has made the landscape a part of the story. He sees Egdon Heath not only with reference to space but also with reference to time. For instance, he points out that Heath had remained unchanged since the time of Julius Caesar. His attitude to Egdon Heath shows a rich complexity. Egdon influences all the characters moving them to love or hate, to despair or to the philosophic mind. Egdon is symbolic of Hardy’s philosophy. It neither ghastly, not hateful, common place, tame, but it is like man slighted and enduring.  Egdon is the premier and most extended instance of Hardy’s habitual personification of Nature. Hardy himself lived on the fringes of Egdon Heath and was perfectly with this environment. In no other novel of his does background come up as lively and breathing as NR. It appears as a working character. Most of the story takes place on the Heath. It symbolizes the whole cosmic order. If we need to understand the human aspects of RETURN OF THE NATIVE, we must first know Egdon Heath. These significant and vital features of the RETURN OF THE NATIVE make it a Wessex novel.
The function and role of Egdon Heath: EH is all-pervasive, without it the novel would be inconceivable, for it provides it with the special dimension and holds the action of the novel and its characters. The function of the EH is to emphasize the real circumstances in which man lives. What the individual may feel about those circumstances is irrelevant for he never escapes them. The Heath is an extended image of the Nature of which man is a part, in which he is caught, which conditions his every being. His life in relation it is as short-lived as the bonfires which the peasants make of the furze that grow on the heath. The nature of human beings is fleeting and insignificance as compared to the permanence of the heath. It has its own life and provides livelihood to the furze-cutters who work on it. He shows us the heath through all the seasons of the year.
NaeemCharacters as part of the Heath: The human inhabitants of the heath are seen by Hardy almost from an anthropologist’s point of view. When the peasants dance in August, time seems to be telescoped; the countries slip by, and the men behave as their ancestors did “for the time Paganism was revived in their hearts, the pride of life was all in all.” Christian Cantle, Grandfer Cantle, Timothy Fairway and Sam – the rustics are as much a part of Nature, and of the life of the heath, as the toads in March that croak like big ducks. Heath influences the principal characters of the novel especially Eustacia. She feels great hatred for the Heath. “Egdon was her Hades.” She was an outsider on the Heath, not born or bred there. Its environment was most hostile to her. This environment could make a woman poet, novelist etc, but it makes Eustacia saturnine. She longs to live a fashionable life in Paris. In talking to Wildeve, she says, “’Tis my cross, my shame and will be my death.”  Clym, unlike, Eustacia, is the product of Egdon and its shaggy hills are friendly and congenial to him. Heath swallows him up and absorbs him into its furze and other creatures. If Clym is the child of heath, Eustacia is haunted by the heath, the reddleman haunts the heath. He knows every nook and corner of heath.  The heath does irreparable damage to Mrs. Yeobright and kills her. Thomasin thinks it an impersonal open ground. She calls it “a ridiculous old place.” But confesses that she could live nowhere else.
How the heath influences the plot: The influence of Egdon on the course of events in RETURN OF THE NATIVE is considerable. --- describe chance and coincidence…
Rustics on Egdon Heath and their lifestyle: Hardy establishes firmly his imaginative world of Wessex – geography, landscape, folkways, agricultural pursuits as the background for his main characters. These are rustic characters – an integral part of the Heath through whom we become acquainted with the beliefs, customs, habits, bonfires, the Maypole celebrations, turf and furze-cutting. All these are described by Hardy in relation to the rustic characters represented by Grandfer Cantle, Christian Cantle, Fairway, Humphrey, Sam, Susan Nunsuch and others. Through these characters we learn some of the superstitions that were current at that time such as beliefs in ghosts and witches. Susan Nunsuch, who believes Eustacia to be a witch, pierces her with needles at the church, and afterwards makes a waxen effigy of her, sticks pins into it and puts it on the fire to melt. She adopts this device to bring about Eustacia’s and a little later she dies. These rustic characters convey to us the spirit of the country-side in Wessex. They lead a conventional life. Eustacia, Clym and Wildeve suffer but the rustics go on. Although they are men of very limited knowledge, but have wisdom and logic of their own.  One striking feature of these rustic characters of Wessex is their zest for life and a capacity to make jokes and enjoy jokes.  They provide much humor in the novel and are a source of unconscious humor. Grandfer Cantle’s egotism and vanity greatly amuse us. He says that even if he had been stung by ten adders, he would not have lost even a single day’s work. “Such is my spirit when I am on my mettle.” Christian Cantle amuses us by his over-whelming inferiority complex and by his cowardice. He is afraid of ghosts and haunted places. He complains that no woman is prepared to marry him.
Rustics as part of the background: Rustics figures in all of Hardy’s novels except the last two, Tess and Jude the Obscure. These characters are a part of the background. They play a critical role and are presented here as a group. These characters are part and parcel of Egdon Heath. They are a source of information about the principal characters. They usually comment of the main characters and bright out certain information and develop plot. It is actually rustics who cause development in the life of main characters. According to one critic, the rustic characters play an essential role, “Their part is organic, not decorative, they are much more than the Greek chorus which they have been called. They are in fact the basic pattern to which other characters conform or from which they differ.”
Over-emphasis of the Heath: According to one critic, Hardy’s use of the heath as a background is not excellent. The use of clich├ęs and jargons make it worse. Some critics have not reacted favorably to the prominence which Hardy has given to Egdon Heath. One critic, for example, says, “The difficulty with the heath is the way in which it constantly threatens to move from background to the foreground to claim an importance.”

People who read this post also read :



67 comments:

iqahramar said...

its too much tuf answer.infact the scene of egdon heath has been potrait in a very stupid way by hardy.anyhow its ans might help me to understand egdon Heath's role.

Anonymous said...

its too much helpful for me.thanxxxxxxxxxxxx.
very good job.

Jamil Figuracion said...

Egdon Heath is an evidence that one of the tenets in Romanticicm is obviuos.Supremacy of Nature. Everything changes, all living entities in that place change yet Egdon Heath remain unchanged. The Heath is the witness in all that changes.

jamil Figuracion said...

Egdon Heath is an evidence that one of the tenets in Romanticism is obviuos.Supremacy of Nature. Everything changes, all living entities in that place change yet Egdon Heath remain unchanged. The Heath is the witness in all that changes.

Jamil Figuracion said...

Egdon Heath is an evidence that one of the tenets in Romanticism is obvious.Supremacy of Nature. Everything changes, all living entities in that place change yet Egdon Heath remain unchanged. The Heath is the witness in all that changes.

Anonymous said...

I was recommended this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether
this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my problem.

You're wonderful! Thanks!

Take a look at my web blog Cheap NFL Jerseys

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I
am impressed! Extremely useful info particularly the
last part :) I care for such information a lot. I was looking for this particular information for a long time.

Thank you and good luck.

Here is my page Air Max Pas Cher

Anonymous said...

Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you
download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would
really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where
you got your design. Thank you

Feel free to visit my blog: Jordan Pas Cher

Anonymous said...

a remarkable job! an excellent guide to understand the heath because it is really difficult for first time readers to understand the opening chapter of the novel through egdon heath and if readers don't understand this chapter then they will not really understand the whole plot. thanks a lot..

Anonymous said...

you're truly a excellent webmaster. The web site loading velocity is amazing. It kind of feels that you're doing any unique trick.

Also, The contents are masterwork. you have done a excellent task on this
subject!

Here is my homepage: Louis Vuitton Outlet

Anonymous said...

You ought to take part in a contest for one of the greatest sites on the web.
I'm going to recommend this site!

Check out my homepage ... Cheap NFL Jerseys

Anonymous said...

It's very effortless to find out any topic on net as compared to books, as I found this paragraph at this web page.

my web blog; Nike Air Max Pas Cher

Anonymous said...

My developer is trying to convince me to move
to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because
of the costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been
using Movable-type on a variety of websites for about a year and
am anxious about switching to another platform.

I have heard very good things about blogengine.
net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content
into it? Any help would be really appreciated!


Also visit my web blog; Nike Air Max Classic BW

Anonymous said...

We are a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community.

Your website offered us with useful information to work on.
You've performed a formidable job and our entire community will probably be grateful to you.

Also visit my webpage; Air Max France

Anonymous said...

excellent submit, very informative. I'm wondering why the opposite experts of this sector do not understand this. You should proceed your writing. I'm sure, you
have a huge readers' base already!

My page - Abercrombie & Fitch

Anonymous said...

I usually do not drop a ton of remarks, however I looked at a bunch of comments on "The role, function and significance of Egdon Heath with attitudes of various characters to it.".
I do have a few questions for you if it's allright. Is it just me or does it seem like some of the comments appear like they are coming from brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting on additional online sites, I'd like to
keep up with everything fresh you have to post.
Would you list of all of your shared sites
like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?


my weblog - Converse Basse

Anonymous said...

What a relief to students majoring in English!
Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

This site really has all of the information and facts I wanted concerning this subject and didn't know who to ask.

Feel free to visit my web-site ... Air Max

Anonymous said...

My coder is trying to convince me to move to .net from
PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the
expenses. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on several websites for about a year
and am concerned about switching to another platform. I
have heard very good things about blogengine.net.
Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it?
Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

my website; Abercrombie Fitch Belgique

Anonymous said...

When I originally commented I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me
when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on each time
a comment is added I receive four emails with the
same comment. Perhaps there is an easy method you are able to remove
me from that service? Many thanks!

my web site :: Michael Kors

Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make
your point. You clearly know what youre talking about,
why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when
you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

Feel free to visit my web page ... Gucci Borse

Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was
entirely right. This post actually made my day.
You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information!
Thanks!

Here is my web-site :: Sidney Crosby Jersey

Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I might like this blog.

He was totally right. This post actually made my day.
You cann't imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

Here is my page ... NFL Jerseys Wholesale

Anonymous said...

I every time spent my half an hour to read this web site's articles all the time along with a cup of coffee.

Feel free to surf to my web site - Evgeni Malkin Black Jersey

Anonymous said...

This post is truly a pleasant one it assists new net visitors, who are wishing for blogging.


Stop by my page - Read Full Article

Anonymous said...

I'm not positive where you're getting your information, but great
topic. I needs to spend some time learning much
more or figuring out more. Thank you for fantastic information I used to be on the lookout for this information for my mission.


Feel free to surf to my homepage - Go Here

Anonymous said...

Hello, just wanted to mention, I loved this blog post. It was funny.
Keep on posting!

Feel free to surf to my page Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags

Anonymous said...

I am curious to find out what blog platform you're using? I'm experiencing some minor security issues with
my latest blog and I would like to find something more safeguarded.

Do you have any solutions?

Feel free to visit my weblog NFL Jerseys Cheap

Anonymous said...

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it,
you are a great author. I will be sure to bookmark
your blog and will eventually come back someday. I want
to encourage that you continue your great writing, have a
nice day!

My blog; Authentic Mario Lemieux Jersey

Anonymous said...

Why people still make use of to read news papers when in this
technological world everything is existing on
web?

Have a look at my web page authentic kris letang jersey

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think your website might be having browser compatibility
issues. When I look at your website in Opera, it looks fine but when opening in
Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Other then that, terrific blog!

My blog cheap nfl jerseys

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about including a little bit
more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all.
Nevertheless think about if you added some great graphics or video clips to
give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with images and clips, this site
could definitely be one of the very best in its field.
Great blog!

Feel free to surf to my blog post - Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to no backup.
Do you have any methods to protect against hackers?

Also visit my web page Louis Vuitton Bags

Anonymous said...

Heya are using Wordpress for your site platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and set up my
own. Do you require any coding expertise to make
your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!

Also visit my web page :: link

Anonymous said...

whoah this blog is excellent i really like reading your articles.

Keep up the great work! You understand, a lot of persons
are searching round for this information, you could aid them greatly.


Also visit my blog; air max pas Cher

Anonymous said...

I get pleasure from, lead to I discovered exactly what I was looking for.
You've ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

Also visit my blog: More hints

Anonymous said...

There's certainly a great deal to learn about this subject. I love all the points you've made.



my homepage; Michael Kors Outlet

Anonymous said...

Hello! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout
out and say I truly enjoy reading through your blog posts.

Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums
that cover the same subjects? Thanks for your time!



Feel free to surf to my blog :: Oakley Frogskins

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just wanted to say, I liked this article. It was helpful.
Keep on posting!

Here is my page: Cheap NFL Jerseys

Anonymous said...

Hi there, everything is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that's really good, keep up writing.

Look at my weblog; Michael Kors

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the superb work!

Here is my web page Sac A Main Louis Vuitton

Anonymous said...

Wow, this post is pleasant, my sister is analyzing these
kinds of things, thus I am going to tell her.

Feel free to visit my website :: Going Here

Anonymous said...

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all people you really recognize what you're talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please additionally discuss with my web site =). We will have a link trade contract between us

my web page: Louis Vuitton Purses

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was an incredibly good post. Spending some time and actual effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I put things off
a lot and don't manage to get anything done.

my web blog: Discover More Here

Anonymous said...

I've been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before.

My blog ... http://slc-wireless.com/chaussures-de-football-pas-cher.Html

Anonymous said...

I think that is among the such a lot significant information for me.
And i'm glad reading your article. But want to observation on some general issues, The web site taste is great, the articles is actually great : D. Just right job, cheers

Here is my webpage: Air Max

Anonymous said...

Touche. Solid arguments. Keep up the amazing work.

my webpage ... resources

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired!
Very useful information specially the remaining phase :) I maintain such information a lot.
I used to be looking for this particular information for a long time.

Thanks and good luck.

my site ... http://nysacpr.org/airmaxpascher.html

Anonymous said...

Hi I am so delighted I found your webpage, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Google for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say
cheers for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design),
I don't have time to browse it all at the minute but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.

Also visit my web blog ... Sac Guess Pas Cher

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and
I am waiting for your further post thanks once again.


my weblog ... article source

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
I'm not very internet smart so I'm not 100% certain.
Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Appreciate it

Also visit my web page; http://wiki.redmountainmakers.org

Anonymous said...

I really like what you guys are up too. This sort of clever work and coverage!
Keep up the great works guys I've added you guys to my own blogroll.

Feel free to visit my webpage :: Louis Vuitton Handbags

Anonymous said...

Pretty! This was a really wonderful article.
Many thanks for providing this information.

My homepage - Clicking Here

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you ever considered changing the page layout of
your site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content
so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text
for only having 1 or 2 images. Maybe you could space it out better?


Feel free to surf to my blog post :: Air Max Femme

Anonymous said...

constantly i used to read smaller articles that also
clear their motive, and that is also happening with this piece of writing which I am reading
at this time.

Also visit my web site ... Soldes Air Jordan :: smu-fr.org ::

Anonymous said...

Hi, Neat post. There is an issue together with your website in web explorer, would check this?
IE still is the market chief and a huge section of other folks will leave out your excellent
writing due to this problem.

My website: Sac Louis Vuitton

Anonymous said...

Incredible! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It's on a totally different topic but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Superb choice of colors!

Feel free to surf to my site :: Air Max Pas Cher

Anonymous said...

What's up, this weekend is pleasant in support of me, for the reason that this moment i am reading this enormous educational piece of writing here at my residence.

Here is my web-site :: Nike Free ()

Anonymous said...

I just could not leave your site before suggesting that I really loved the usual info a person provide for your visitors?
Is gonna be again continuously to check up on new posts

my web page - NFL Jerseys Cheap

Anonymous said...

First of all I want to say excellent blog! I had a quick question that I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your mind prior to writing. I've
had a difficult time clearing my mind in getting my ideas out.
I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15
minutes are usually wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin.
Any recommendations or tips? Kudos!

Review my web blog Nike Air Max

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me.

Anyways, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be bookmarking
and checking back often!

My homepage :: Sac Louis Vuitton

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I know this is sort of off-topic but I had to ask.
Does operating a well-established blog like yours take a large amount of work?
I'm completely new to operating a blog but I do write in my journal daily. I'd like
to start a blog so I can easily share my personal experience
and feelings online. Please let me know if you have
any suggestions or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners.
Thankyou!

Also visit my site Nike Free 3.0 ()

Anonymous said...

I know this web site provides quality depending articles or reviews and additional data, is there any other website which offers these kinds of stuff
in quality?

Check out my webpage :: Cheap Air Max

Anonymous said...

Its such as you learn my thoughts! You appear to grasp so much approximately this, like you wrote the ebook in it or something.

I think that you simply could do with some p.c. to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, that
is magnificent blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.


My website :: Mulberry Outlet

Anonymous said...

I'm no longer sure the place you're getting your information, but great topic.
I must spend a while learning more or figuring out more.
Thanks for wonderful information I was on the lookout for this info for my mission.


Feel free to visit my web page - Christian Louboutin Sale

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
Look advanced to more added agreeable from you!
However, how can we communicate?

my homepage :: Michael Kors (overuc.com)

Anonymous said...

thanxs for long answer.........................................

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!