Thursday, February 24, 2011

Correct English Grammar: Adjectives - 1

Adjectives are qualifying words, which add quality to noun or pronoun or modify them. Adjectives are limited to nouns and pronouns so, they cannot modify or qualify verbs. Adjectives, the descriptive words, are very helpful in making descriptions, and they compose a larger part of English Language.

Common English Rules: Adjectives - 1 

1.      ELDER is not the comparative form of OLD, so it cannot be used in Comparison. We do not use MORE  before a comparative form (two comparative forms are not used together). When the comparison is made to the whole, the speaker must be excluded. The quality or possession of something must be compared with the quality or possession of another, not the object itself. When one thing or person is compared with the two, we used comparative form with THE and OF instead of THAN.
2.      After words like SENIOR, JUNIOR, INFERIOR, we use TO instead of THAN.
3.      LITTLE is used for quantity and FEW for number. The comparative form of LITTLE is Less and the comparative form of FEW is FEWER. A LITTLE means some and LITTLE means Not enough. Similarly, A FEW is Some and FEW is Not enough. We don’t use NOT ANY instead we use NO alone.
4.      We use SAME --- AS not SAME --- LIKE. We use ENOUGH before nouns and after adjectives.
5.      LIKE is a Preposition and ALIKE is an ADVERB. We cannot leave LIKE at the end of a sentence.

1
Incorrect
Correct

1.      He is an abler teacher.
2.      I am elder to/than you.
3.      You are more happier than me.
4.      He is the richest man of the world.
5.      She is the most intelligent in all (girls).
6.      Karachi is the larger of all Pakistani cities.
7.      She is more intelligent than the whole class.

8.      I am stronger than any man in the room.
9.      I am the strongest of all men.
10. We are happier than any one in the world.
11.  She is the wisest of the two.
12.  You are becoming more cleverer and more.
13.  They are cleverer than wiser.
14.  You are comparatively richer.
15.  Nearer the mosque, farther from God.
16.  More you practice, the well you speak.
17.  His results are better than any other teacher.

18.  The atmosphere of Islamabad is better than Lahore.
19.  My car is faster than you/your.

20. Of the two brothers, he is the best.
21.  Of these two dolls, this is the most beautiful.
22. Of all the boys, I think, he is the least intelligent.

23. Of the two, he is the best.

He is an able teacher.
I am older than you.
You are happier than I.

He is the richest man in the world.
She is the most intelligent of all (girls).
Karachi is the largest of all Pakistani cities.
She is the most intelligent of any one else in the whole class.
I am stronger than any other man in the room.
I am the strongest of all other men.
We are happier than anyone else in the world.
She is the wiser of the two.
You are becoming more and more clever.
They are more clever than wise.
You are comparatively rich.
The nearer the mosque, the farther from God.
The more you practice, the better you speak.
His results are better than those of any other teacher.
The atmosphere of Islamabad is better than that of Lahore.
My car is faster than yours.

Of the two brothers, he is the better.
Of these two dolls, this is the more beautiful.
Of all of the boys, I think, he is the less intelligent.
Of the two, he is the better.

2
Incorrect
Correct

1.      He was totally ignorant of the fact prior than the meeting.
2.      You are senior than me.
3.      His family members are travelling to the north.


He was totally ignorant of the fact prior to the meeting.
You are senior to me.
The members of his family are traveling to the north

3
Incorrect
Correct

1.      There is few milk in the fridge.
2.      I have little rupees in my pocket.
3.      I have less problems than you.
4.      She earns fewer money than I.
5.      There is little water in the jug. You can drink it.

6.      You can do nothing with a few rupees.
7.      You have to live on less salary.
8.      A number of students has completed the course.

9.      The number of students in my class is less.
10. There are much students around.
11.  There is many tea in the pot.
12.  There is many news in the paper.
13.  There are many mistakes in this essay.
14.  There is not boy in the class.
15.  There was not any milk.
16.  The father left a large number of wealth for his sons.
17.  The teacher gave his students a large amount of assignments.

There is some/little/a little milk in the fridge.
I have few/a few rupees in my pocket.
I have fewer problems than you.
She earns less money than I.
There is a little water in the jug. You can drink it.
You can do nothing with few rupees.
You have to live on small salary.
A number of students have completed the course.
The number of students in my class is few/small.
There are many students around.
There is much tea in the pot.
There is much news in the paper.
There are too many mistakes in this essay.
There is no boy in the class.
There was no milk.
The father left a large amount of wealth for his sons.
The teacher gave his students a large number of assignments.
                           
4
Incorrect
Correct

1.      Your book is same like mine.
2.      My new bike was exactly the same to yours.
3.      His ideas are similar as mine.
4.      Almost people here live on fish.

5.      The most boys failed in English.
6.      Most of teachers at our college are hardworking.

7.      There are enough thing for us.
8.      He is as old enough to go home alone.
9.      I am enough brave to fight with you.


Your book is the same as mine.
My new bike was exactly the same as yours.
His ideas are similar to mine.
Almost all of the /most of the people here live on fish.
Most/ Most of the boys failed in English.
Most of/Almost all of the teachers at our college are hardworking.
There are enough things for us.
He is old enough to go home alone.
I am brave enough to fight with you.


5
Incorrect
Correct

1.      These two cars are like.

2.      This place feels as home.
3.      I have a bike same like yours.

4.      The brothers don't look like.

5.      He is the same age like me.
6.      My feet are the same size than yours.
7.      Our house is different than/to yours.
8.      I have told you more than thousand times.


These two cars are alike/ like each other.
This place feels like home.
I have a bike like yours/ like the one you have.
The brothers don't look alike/ look like each other.
He is the same age as me.
My feet are the same size as yours.
Our house is different from  yours.
I have told you more than a thousand times.

People who read this post also read :



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!