Saturday, February 26, 2011

Correct English Grammar: Adverbs

Adverbs, unlike Adjectives, modify verbs and Adjectives; but do not qualify or modify Noun or Pronoun. They are mainly limited to Verbs only and control their performance and frequency.

Common English Rules: Adverbs

1.      Only Adverbs modify verbs, not Adjectives. Some words look like Adverbs such as cowardly, manly etc. but are Adjectives, so they cannot modify verbs.

2.      In Verbal Modifiers, we use Too instead of Very; otherwise in simple sentences, Too is wrong before Adjectives in Academic Register.
3.      Past Indefinite Tense takes Ago, not Before. Before Past Participles, we use Adverbs, not Adjectives to convey the sense of manner.
4.      Adverbs of frequency usually come in the middle of a sentence and Adverbs of time usually come at the end. The complete expression to show ability is Know how to + vi., not Know alone.
5.      We don’t normally use To after But and Than. We use Else but and Other than, not the otherwise.
6.            We usually use Yet at the end of a sentence and Even and Already between Helping and Real Verbs.
7.      When must take a subject. We use For to show period of time and Since to show point of time.
8.      If Adverbs of Frequency are used before the sentence, the helping verb comes, before the subject. Some time means “for some time only, not for long” and Sometimes means “only often or occasionally, not always”
9.      As a whole means “Generally” and Wholly means “Completely”.

1
Incorrect
Correct

1.      I learnt English slow.
2.      He speaks English good.
3.      The meeting was managed good by the staff.
4.      You can speak French fluent now.
5.      After three years in London, he learnt English perfect.
6.      You can clear see the whole of Lahore from the top of  Minar-e-Pakistan.
7.      It will cost you dear.
8.      He drove the car fastly.
9.      He came home lately yesterday.
10. They looked at us silly.

11.  They ran away cowardly.

12.  The principal received us friendlily.
13.  I did the essay hasty and made too many mistakes.
14.  I did all the questions wrongly.


I learnt English slowly.
He speaks English well.
The meeting was managed well by the staff.
You can speak French fluently now.
After three years in London, he learnt English perfectly.

You can clearly see the whole of Lahore from the  top of  Minar-e-Pakistan.

It will cost you dearly.
He drove the car fast.
He came home late yesterday.
They looked at us in a silly way.
They ran away in a cowardly manner.
The principal received us in a friendly manner.
I did the essay hastily and made too many mistakes.

I did all the questions wrong.



2
Incorrect
Correct

1.      The glass is very hot to touch.
2.      I am too happy to see you.
3.      We are much happy today.
4.      The angry father beat the son very hardly.
5.      The movie was rather good.
6.      He was fairly tense.


The glass is too hot to touch.
I am very happy to see you.
We are very happy today.

The father angry beat the son very hard.
The movie was fairly good.
He was rather tense.


3
Incorrect
Correct

1.      I left this job two months before.
2.      I left my umbrella back.
3.      She described the incident in details.
4.      The house was beautiful furnished.
5.      I am not political minded.
6.      He is mad in love with her.


I left this job two months ago.
I left my umbrella behind.
She described the incident in detail.
The house was beautifully furnished.
I am not politically minded.
He is madly in love with her.

4
Incorrect
Correct

1.      He works here often.
2.      We go to school always.
3.      Usually I sleep at nine.
4.      They yesterday saw a film.
5.      Never you behave well.
6.      I don't know to make tea.
7.      We don't know the reason why you smoke.
8.      This is the place where we lived two years ago.


He often works here.
We always go to school.
I usually sleep at nine.
They saw a film yesterday.
You never behave well.
I don't know how to make tea.
We don't know why you smoke.
This is where/ This is the place we lived two years ago.


5
Incorrect
Correct

1.      A:  Do you speak English?
B:  Of course, I do.
2.      The students came out of the class by and by.
3.      Go directly to the office.
4.      It is nothing else than your carelessness.
5.      I work every day other but Sunday.
6.      We could do nothing but complained.


A:  Do you speak English?
B:  Certainly, I do.
The students came out of the class one by one.
Go direct to the office.
It is nothing else but your carelessness.

I work every day other than Sunday.
We could do nothing but complain.
6
Incorrect
Correct

1.      Don't talk of running. He even cannot walk.
2.      I already have done my work.
3.      He yet has not passed BA.
4.      Are you working with the Lever Brothers still?
5.      I lately have read a good book.
6.      Just you had phoned me when I reached you.
7.      The movie was fine. We liked it on the whole.

Don't talk of running. He cannot even walk.
I have already done my work.
He has not passed BA yet.
Are you still working with the Lever Brothers ?
I have read a good book lately.
You had just phoned me when I reached you.
The movie was fine. We liked the whole of it.

7
Incorrect
Correct

1.      When in my home, do as we do.

2.      I was always worried when a teacher in the hostel.
3.      I cannot stay with you longer.
4.      He has been teaching here since four years.
5.      We have been away from each other since almost a week.

6.      I have been waiting for you for Monday.


While in my home/ When you are  in my home, do as we do.
I was always worried when I was a / while a teacher in the hostel.
I can no longer stay with you.
He has been teaching here for four years.
We have been away from each other for almost a week/ since almost a week ago.
I have been waiting for you since Monday.

8
Incorrect
Correct

1.      I scarcely see him nowadays.
2.      Never she has been to see me ever since her first visit.
3.      Never I have experienced such a great problem before.
4.      Hardly you had left when I came to you.
5.      Not once he has invited me to the party.
6.      Very seldom a Pakistani film get hit.
7.      I like fishing but sometime I go walking.
8.      Why don't you come over to me sometimes and have a chat?
9.      Sometime we completely forget that others are also human beings.

10. That once a teacher, he is a director now.
11.  I once a student at PU, I am teaching there now.

I rarely see him nowadays.
Never has she been to see me ever since her first visit.
Never have I experienced such a great problem before.
Hardly had you left than I came to you.
Not once has he invited me to the party.
Very seldom does a Pakistani film get hit.
I like fishing but sometimes I go walking.
Why don't you come over to me sometime and have a chat?
Sometimes we completely forget that others are also human beings.
Once a teacher, he is a director now.
Once a student at PU, I am teaching there now.

9
Incorrect
Correct

1.      Pakistan came into being on the fourteen of August, 1947.
2.      I joined this college on ten March.
3.      The BA result is first August.
4.      On the four of March, I am flying to Greece.
5.      Pakistani people are poor wholly.

6.      The house was destroyed as a whole.

Pakistan came into being on the fourteenth of August, 1947.
I joined this college on the tenth of March.
The BA result is the first of August.
On the fourth of March, I am flying to Greece.
As a whole (generally), Pakistani people are poor.
The house was wholly destroyeddestroyed wholly.

People who read this post also read :



1 comments:

Paul Smith said...

this article is very important! english grammar is hard for mastering and you advice really helps! http://getessayeditor.com/blog/english-grammar-how-to-use-adverbs will tell you more about English adverbs!

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!