Monday, February 28, 2011

Correct English Grammar: The Conjunctions

Conjunctions join nouns, phrases and clauses and add transitions to one’s speech and writing. There is a better flow of ideas if conjunctions are used properly.

Common English Rules

1.      Elements in the Parallel statements must be parallel. We must use Present Indefinite Tense after When, If, As soon as and Unless if there is a Future Tense in the next clause. Both refers to two things, not more than two, so As well As must be used with it if there are more than two persons or things.

2.      We use Whether after Doubt, not That. After Although, we must use Yet, not, But. We use Than after No sooner and When after Scarcely. Two Conjunctions in one sentence are not possible. After Lest, we must use Should, not Shall.

1
Incorrect
Correct

1.      I speak both English  as well as Urdu.
2.      It is durable and also inexpensive.
3.      Both Sameer, Ali, and Shaan are talking part in this match.
4.      He plays hockey and cricket also.

5.      He listens not only to music but dances also.
6.      He went to the States so he can meet his brother.

7.      We will go to meet him when his father will come back home.
8.      I will pay you when my pay will rise in June.


I speak both English  and Urdu.
It is both durable and inexpensive.
Both Sameer and Ali as well as  Shaan are talking part in this match.
He plays both hockey and cricket/ He plays hockey as well as cricket.
He listens not only to music but also dances.
He went to the States so that he could/might meet his brother.
We will go to meet him when his father comes back home.
I will pay you when my pay rises in June.

2
Incorrect
Correct

1.      He doubts that I am honest.
2.      Although I am weak but I can walk as fast as you can.
3.      No sooner I left, the guests came.
4.      I had scarcely told the whole story than he began to weep.
5.      When you are ready now, we can leave.
6.      Not only I gave him food but also money to start his business.
7.      Supposing if there were sharks then what?
8.      Only then I realized that he was a good man.
9.      Neither he speaks, nor he meets any one.
10. Until you don't admit your mistake, you will be fined.



11.  You cannot learn English unless you don't remove your hesitation.
12.  I can't do it before he comes back.
13.  Because I was sick so I couldn't come to college yesterday.
14.  He asked me that why I had done so.
15.  You can't cook like my mother does.
16.  Walk carefully lest you don't stumble.
17.  I come here so that I learn English .
18.  As it is raining so we can't go out.
19.  I am no other but Naeem.

He doubts whether I am honest.
Although I am weak, I can walk as fast as you can.
No sooner did I leave than the guests came.
I had scarcely told the whole story when he began to weep.
Since you are ready now, we can leave.
Not only did I give him food but (also) money to start his business.
Supposing/ If there were sharks then what?
Only then did I realize that he was a good man.
Neither does he speak nor does he meet any one.
Until you admit your mistake, you will be fined/ You will be fined so long as you don't admit your mistake.
You cannot learn English unless you remove your hesitation.
I can't do it unless he comes  back.
Because I was sick, I couldn't come to college yesterday/ I was sick so I couldn't come to...
He asked me why I had done so.
You can't cook as my mother does.
Walk carefully lest you (should ) stumble.
I come here so that I may /can / could learn English.
As it is raining, we can't go out/ It is raining so we can't go out.
I am no other than Naeem.
20. He disturbed me during I was reading.
21.  She speaks while eating.


22. This is a good novel I am reading it.
He disturbed me while I was reading.
She speaks during eating/ while she is eating.
This is a good novel which I am reading .

People who read this post also read :



1 comments:

nancy john said...

Good information about IELTS it is very useful for students

IELTS Conjunction implementation

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!