Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Correct English Grammar: The Demonstratives

Demonstratives normally act as pronouns and are used to introduce persons and things. Their role in English is very limited; therefore, not many errors are associated with them. Demonstratives also act as Introductory subjects; but have no individual meaning.

Common English Rules: Demonstratives

    We usually This/that for introductions instead of He,she etc.


Incorrect
Correct

1.      Hello, that is Aslam speaking.
2.      A: That is my friend, Ali.
B: Nice to meet you!
3.      A: Are these your books?
B: No, these are not mine.
4.      A: Who’s he?
B:  He’s my friend, Ali.
5.      A:  Who is at the door?
B:   I am.
6.      Those work hard and succeed.
7.      It is my friend, Jameel.
8.      This was marvelous! What was in it?
9.      If you are this expert, why are you poor?
10.  I can never forget that long winter evenings.

Hello, this is Aslam speaking.
A: This is my friend, Ali.
B: Nice to meet you!
A: Are these your books?
B: No, those are not mine.
A:  Who’s that?
B:  That’s my friend, Ali.
A:  Who is at the door?
B:   This/It is I (me).
Those who work hard succeed.
This is my friend, Jameel.
That was marvelous! What was in it?
If you are that expert, why are you poor?
I can never forget those long winter evenings.

People who read this post also read :



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!