Monday, February 28, 2011

Correct English Grammar: The Prepositions

Prepositions are tiny words, which connect two words in respect to their relation, direction and state. Prepositions can usually be controlled by cramming because there are no hard and fast rules to learn them, as there are many exceptions.

Common English Rules

1.      Some words do not take prepositions after them.
2.      Some verbs do take prepositions after them.

3.      If a verb takes a particular preposition, it must be used if the sentence has an object to which the preposition refers.
4.      After Regard, Define, we use As, but not after Consider.
5.      We use Between for two and Among for more than two. Beside means “near” and Besides means “In addition to”. We use either Despite or In spite of but no other form is possible.
6.      The above incorrect Prepositional sentences represent wrong use of Prepositions.

1
Incorrect
Correct

1.      We love with Pakistan.
2.      He resembles with his father.
3.      When did you enter into the building?
4.      I reached at the station very late.
5.      I asked from him his name.

We love Pakistan.
He resembles his father.

When did you enter the building?
I reached the station very late.
I asked him his name.

2
Incorrect
Correct

1.      We pray God when we are in trouble.
2.      I am listening you.
3.      She hasn’t written me since Eid.
4.      If I am off, I have to explain  my boss.
5.      He said me, “We should go home now.”


We pray to God when we are in trouble.
I am listening to you.
She hasn’t written to me since Eid.
If I am off, I have to explain to my boss.
He said to me, “We should go home now.”

3
Incorrect
Correct

1.      There is no one to talk.
2.      Is there any fine music to  listen.
3.      This pen is to write.
4.      I have many problems to think.
5.      There was nothing to worry.


There is no one to talk to.
Is there any fine music to        listen to.
This pen is to write with.
I have many problems to think about.
There was nothing to worry about.

4
Incorrect
Correct

1.      I regard you my brother.
2.      He has defined poetry to be a reflective of one’s mind.
3.      I consider it as a mistake.


I regard you as my brother.
He has defined poetry as a reflective of one’s mind.
I consider it a mistake.

5
Incorrect
Correct


1.      The two brothers divide all things among themselves.
2.      The property was divided between all the sons equally.
3.      He likes living at the river instead of in the mountains.
4.      He came to see me on Eid.
5.      He is sitting at the table.

6.      Beside English , I can speak two other languages.
7.      He lives besides my house.

The two brothers divide all things between themselves.
The property was divided among all the sons equally.
He likes living on the river instead of in the mountains.
He came to see me at Eid.
He is sitting on the table.
Besides English , I can speak two other languages.
He lives beside my house.

8.      You can come to see me every day not on Saturday.
9.      All of the class leaving Ali was present in the hall.
10.  He came to help me instead him.
11.  I wanted to be a psychologist but I became a teacher instead a psychologist.
12.  He eats at home instead going to a restaurant.
13.  You can get all kinds of things around, such like books, socks and other amenities.
14.  Books, as this, are highly appreciable.
15.  Despite of his opposition, I won the elections.
16.  I stayed at home because raining.
17.  She has her personal case for to keep her things.
18.  He went to Lahore for finding a job.
19.  This key is to open locks.
20.  I need another course for teach my students effectively.
21.  He learnt English quite well to/for practicing it all day long.

You can come to see me every day but/except on Saturday.
All of the class but/ except Ali was present in the hall.
He came to help me instead of him.
I wanted to be a psychologist but I became a teacher instead/ instead of a psychologist.
He eats at home instead of going to a restaurant.
You can get all kinds of things around, such as books, socks and other amenities.
Books, such as this, are highly appreciable.
Despite/ In spite of his opposition, I won the elections.
I stayed at home because it was raining/of the rain.
She has her personal case to keep/ for keeping her things.
He went to Lahore to find a job.
This key is for opening locks.
I need another course to teach /for teaching my students effectively.
He learnt English  quite well by practicing it all day long.

6
Incorrect
Correct

1.      I usually travel in bus.
2.      He came to see me by his car.
3.      We will see you on Eid.
4.      I live at Lahore.
5.      My books fell in the river.
6.      The cat jumped on the table.
7.      I always go to college by foot.
8.      What is the time in his watch?
9.      I am not afraid from you.
10.  When did you arrive Pakistan?
11.  Why are you angry on me?
12.  You should repent for/on your sins.
13.  I sent a beautiful card on your e-mail address.
14.  The teacher told their students to open the books on page seven.
15.  I met many people in the way.
16.  I searched for my pockets.
17.  They searched me in the jungle.
18.  We used to play under the shade of trees.
19.  They will take revenge from you.
20.  The guests came at Friday.
21.  The program will be telecasted from Monday.
22.  Word by word translation is not always correct.
23.  I am ill from high fever.
24.  My father was suffering with jaundice.
25.  We are getting late from university.
26.  Many people die from cholera in the streets.
27.  I can say nothing on your face.
28.  You are like a son for me.
29.  I stopped/prevented you to do that.
30.  Despite of working hard, he played games all day.
31.  In spite enjoying games and spending time with friends, I passed BA.
32.  I swear on/from your head.
33.  The teacher is very popular among his friends.
34.  Why are you so kind on me?
35.  He threatened me by a stick.
36.  The child was killed with a stone.
37.  He comes from a good family and comes of Pakistan.
38.  My name is not in the list because I am not in the committee.
39.  There is no easy way of success.
40.  We will return back soon because he is waiting us.
41.  It is no time for sleep.
42.  They came to home very late.
43.  When do you go school?
44.  We write with black ink.
45.  Next month, I am sitting in the BA examination.
46.  My check is of/from the United Bank Limited.
47.  They will be back after an hour.
48.  Oil sells in liters.
49.  There are two children from his first wife.
50.  We were amazed on his performance.
51.  They are operating the child.
52.  Social facilities must be provided to the poor.
53.  A woman in the hospital delivered twins.
54.  I don't like being talked.
55.  What are you looking?
56.   The chairman is busy on Sunday to Friday.
57.  I was very busy in my work.

58.  Ali has many qualities beside honesty.
59.  I accompanied with the guests.
60.  The case was disposed.

61.  Aslam still depends his family.
62.  What is the reason of his failure?
63.  There is no harm to play here.
64.  Nobody invited him on dinner.
65.  There is a famous saying in the Arabs.
66.  They have nothing to sit.
67.  The criminal was called with different names.
68.  We visited London during 1981 and 1985.
69.  Please help me in my work.
70.  They have committed themselves in serving the humanity.
71.  Don't interfere in my affairs.
72.  Attend your work.
73.  The chairman called for a meeting.
74.  Who is knocking the door?
75.  They were charged of theft.
76.  Why are you jealous with me?
77.  There are always two sides of matter.
78.  The criminal met his fate and the matter ended.
79.  We caught him from the head.
80.  I congratulated him for his marriage.     
81.  I am an expert to speak English .         
82.  This essay in full with mistakes.                
83.  You are good in English  now.
84.  I can part with you but I can't part from this profession.

I usually travel by bus.
He came to see me in his car.
We will see you at Eid.
I live in Lahore.
My books fell into the river.
The cat jumped upon the table.
I always go to college on foot.
What is the time by his watch?
I am not afraid of you.
When did you arrive in Pakistan?

Why are you angry with me?
You should repent of your sins.
I sent a beautiful card to your e-mail address.

The teacher told their students to open the books at page seven.
I met many people on the way.
I searched my pockets.

They searched for me in the jungle.
We used to play in the shade of trees.
They will take revenge on you.
The guests came on Friday.
The program will be telecast on Monday.

Word for word translation is not always correct.
I am ill with high fever.

My father was suffering from jaundice.

We are getting late for university.
Many people die of cholera in the streets.
I can say nothing to your face.
You are like a son to me.
I forbade you to do that/ stopped/ prevented you from doing that.
Despite working hard, he played games all day.

In spite of enjoying games and spending time with friends, I passed BA.

I swear by your head.

The teacher is very popular with his friends.
Why are you so kind to me?
He threatened me with a stick.
The child was killed by a stone.
He comes of a good family and comes from Pakistan.
My name is not on the list because I am not on the committee.
There is no easy way to success.
We will return soon because he is waiting for us.
It is no time to sleep.
They came home very late.
When do you go to school?
We write in black ink.

Next month, I am sitting (for) the BA examination.

My check is on the United Bank Limited.

They will be back in an hour.
Oil sells by liters.
There are two children by his first wife.
We were amazed at/ by his performance.
They are operating on the child.
Social facilities must be provided for the poor.
A woman in the hospital was delivered of twins.

I don't like being talked to.
What are you looking at?
The chairman is busy from Sunday to Friday.
I was very busy with my work.
Ali has many qualities besides honesty.
I accompanied the guests.
The case was disposed of.
Aslam still depends on his family.
What is the reason for his failure?
There is no harm in playing here.
Nobody invited him to dinner.
There is a famous saying among the Arabs.
They have nothing to sit on.
The criminal was called by different names.
We visited London between 1981 and 1985.
Please help me with my work.
They have committed themselves to serving the humanity.
Don't interfere with my affairs.
Attend to your work.
The chairman called a meeting.
Who is knocking at the door?
They were charged with theft.
Why are you jealous of me?
There are always two sides to matter.
The criminal met with his fate and the matter ended.
We caught him by the head.
I congratulated him on his marriage.
I am an expert in speaking English .    
This essay in full of mistakes.
You are good at English  now.                                                                                                                                                                                                    
I can part from you but I can't part with this profession.

People who read this post also read :



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished
to say that I've really loved browsing your blog posts. In any case I'll be subscribing to
your feed and I hope you write again soon!

Here is my blog post - coffee house

Anonymous said...

I am in fact thankful to the owner of this website who has
shared this fantastic paragraph at here.

Also visit my website :: children clothing

Anonymous said...

Sweet blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it

My web-site: http://www.postpligg.com/out.php?title=One_Particular_Emergence_Of_Vintage_Clothing_In_Modern_Fashion_Industry

Anonymous said...

What's up, this weekend is nice designed for me, for the reason that this point in time i am reading this enormous informative paragraph here at my residence.

Also visit my web page ... just click the next website page

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I could have sworn I've been to this web site before but after browsing through a few of the articles I realized it's new to me.
Nonetheless, I'm certainly happy I came across it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back often!


my blog :: http://www.bestecigarettelist.org/online-clothing-related-articles/

Shane Lee said...

It’s amazing in support of me to truly have a web site that is valuable meant for my knowledge.Grammarly review

total12 said...

The alert citizens will prevent them from mortgaging the Nation's interest.review grammarly

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!