Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Correct English Grammar: The Pronoun

 Pronouns replace nouns and add variety in language. Nouns and pronouns must be in agreement with each other. Special attention should be paid to the case of Pronoun when used after Than. After Pronouns, their corresponding verbs should be used.

Common English Rules: Pronouns

1.      If PRONOUN is the subject, it has to be in the Subjective case and vice versa.
2.      In academic English, subjective form of the pronouns is used after Than.
3.      For countries, we use It/ Her. WHICH is used of animals and objects and WHO of persons. ONE is followed by ONE'S  and EVERY ONE  by HE.
4.      After verbs such as ENJOY, AVAIL etc., we must use REFLEXIVE PRONOUNS.
5.      With ONE OF… the verb is singular if it points to ONE out of many as the subject; but is plural if it refers to the people/students/ boys etc. as subjects. ONE is always followed by ONE and SUCH by AS. If SUCH is not exemplifying, we use LIKE with SUCH.
6.      For something bad, the order of pronoun is: I, he and you but for something good, it is You, he and I. 
7.      SOME is used in positive sentences and ANY is used in negative  and interrogative sentences.
8.      With parts of body, we use POSSESSIVE PRONOUNS , not The. Each other is used of two persons or things and One another is used of more than two.


1
Incorrect
Correct

1.      Ali and him are going.
2.      I don't know whom told you.
3.      A: Who’s at the door?    B: It’s me.
4.      Who does she love?
5.      They do not talk to you and I nowadays.
6.      Who did you meet on the way?


Ali and he are going.
I don't know who told you.

A: Who’s at the door?           B: It’s I.
Whom does she love?
They do not talk to you and me nowadays.
Whom did you meet on the way?


2
Incorrect
Correct

1.      He’s older than me.
2.      You are as good as him.
3.      My experience is greater than your.
4.      She cooks better than me.
5.      Your’s obediently,
7.      Our’s is an agricultural country.
8.      We are more fortunate than they all.


He’s older than I.
You are as good as he.
My experience is greater than yours.
She cooks better than I.
Yours obediently,
Ours is an agricultural country.
We are more fortunate than them all.

3
Incorrect
Correct

1.      Please let me do your work.
2.      They will not sell our goods.
3.      They were working for ourselves.
4.      Pakistan must defend his/your identity.
5.      I forgot about the mistake whom you made yesterday.
6.      They killed the snake who bit the baby.
7.      Aslam, which lives in Lahore, is my best friend.
8.      This is the house whose roof fell down yesterday.
9.      Those of us who are depressed, must see our doctor soon.
10. Every one should do their work properly.
11.  Whoso come to meet us, show their riches.
12.  If one is not happy, you should take a change.
13.  One should always try for his future.
14.  This is the best book which can teach you English.
15.  Everyone should do their job. No one should disturb them/her.


Please let me do my work.
They will not sell their goods.
They were working for themselves.
Pakistan must defend her/its identity.
I forgot about the mistake which you made yesterday.
They killed the snake which bit the baby.
Aslam, who lives in Lahore, is my best friend.
This is the house the roof of which fell down yesterday.
Those of us who are depressed, must see their doctor soon.
Every one should do his or her work properly.
Whoso comes to meet us, shows his riches.
If one is not happy, one should take a change.
One should always try for one’s future.
This is the best book that can teach you English.
Everyone should do his job.           No one should disturb him.


4
Incorrect
Correct

1.      I will avail of this chance.
2.      I cut and hurt.
3.      We enjoyed at the party.
4.      I have committed to work there.
5.      He hid himself somewhere.


I will avail myself of this chance.
I cut and hurt myself.
We enjoyed ourselves at the party.
I have committed myself  to working there.
He hid somewhere.


5
Incorrect
Correct

1.      One of the problems with people are that they are not responsible.
2.      Such people who criticize to pinch others, don't succeed.
3.      He is glad to have such a nice man as me.
4.      One of my friends are waiting there.
5.      I am not one of those who steps back.
6.      He is one of the most interesting people who has appeared on TV.
7.      He’s not one of those who fears.


One of the problems with people is that they are not responsible.
Such people as criticize to pinch others, don't succeed.
He is glad to have such a nice man like me.
One of my friends is waiting there.
I am not one of those who step back.
He is one of the most interesting people who have appeared on TV.
He’s not one of those who fear.


6
Incorrect
Correct


1.      I, you and he go to mosque daily.
2.      You and I beat him severely.


You, he and I go to mosque
daily.
I and You beat him severely.

7
Incorrect
Correct

1.      Which of you would have your share?
2.      Both could not reach in time.

3.      We all didn’t understand him.

4.      Ali, who is the best speaker, he will get a position.
5.      I want five books you can give me either one.
6.      Aslam is his best friend who won the match yesterday.

7.      No body thinks of you but I.

8.      It’s me that is ready , not him.
9.      It was them who was angry, not me.
10. If I were him, I would quit this.
11.  This is me/him speaking.
12.  This is between you and I.
13.  Among we people, it is not done.
14.  Of those who knew Shaan and he refused to go to his party.


Which of you would have his/her/their share?
Neither of them could reach in time.
None of us could understand him.
Ali, who is the best speaker, will get a position.
I want five books you can give me any one (of them).
Aslam who won the match yesterday is his best friend.
No body thinks of you but me.
It’s I who am ready , not him.
It was they who were angry, not me.
If I were he, I would quit this.
This is I / he speaking.
This is between you and me.
Among us people, it is not done.
Of those who knew Shaan and him refused to go to his party.


8
Incorrect
Correct

1.      A: I will give you some advice. B: I don't need.
2.      I don't have something to tell you.
3.      He wants any milk.
4.      A: Have you got a book?
B:  I haven't got.
5.      He promised to give me that book but he didn't give me.

A: I will give you some advice.
B: I don't need it.
I don't have anything to tell you.
He wants some milk.
A: Have you got a book?
B: I haven't got one/any.
He promised to give me that book but he didn't give it to me.
9
Incorrect
Correct


1.      He objected to me going there.
2.      I appreciate you doing me a favor.
3.      She twisted the ankle.
4.      I bumped the head into the wall.
5.      Asma burned the fingers while making bread.
6.      Ali and Saima like one another.
7.      Family members should love each other.


He objected to my going there.
I appreciate your doing me a favor.
She twisted her ankle.
I bumped my head into the wall.
Asma burned her fingers while making bread.
Ali and Saima like each other.
Family members should love one another.


People who read this post also read :



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

An interesting discussion is definitely worth comment. There's no doubt that that you should publish more about this subject, it may not be a taboo subject but typically people do not speak about such subjects. To the next! Best wishes!!
Feel free to visit my page :: natural african mango

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!