Monday, February 28, 2011

Correct English Grammar: The Verb

Verb is the most important Part of Speech in English. So, special care should be taken while using it. Choice of verbs and proper handling of its forms and clauses is most important for flawless communication. Verbs normally show action and state.

Common English Rules:

1.      Before FOR and SINCE, we usually use Perfect or Perfect Continuous Tenses, not Continuous tenses. Verbs such as understand, hear and smell are not normally used in Progressive Tenses.

2.      Transitive verbs must take objects and Intransitive verbs do the otherwise. Also, the Intransitive verbs are not used in the passive.
3.      If a job is done to the subject of a sentence, it must be in the passive. In Passives, we always use the third form of the verb. By is used if there is an Agent and With if there is an instrument.
4.      If the first clause of a sentence is in the past, the other, too, must be past
5.      We don’t use Not after Unless. If there are two clauses in a sentence referring to the future, If, When, unless should be in the Present.
6.      We don’t use To after all Modal Auxiliaries such as Can, Could, Will and Had better. Must is used for Logical Necessity and Should for social and moral obligations. We always use Second form of the verb after Would      Rather That. (Be) Used To shows habits and must take an –Ing after the verb and Used To shows habitual actions in the past, it doesn’t take an –Ing. After Suggested/ Proposed/It is important That, we use verb without S,ES in TPS. After High Time and As If, we use Past Indefinite or Was or Were.
8.      We don’t use To after Let, Make and Have when they are used in Causative sentences. But we use To after Get.  When you don’t mention the Agent, you can use Third form of the verb after Get and Have; but if there is an Agent, you must use first form of the verb after them.
9.      I Wish shows Optative feelings and Kaash. For this, Only the following structures are possible with the following meanings.

a.      I wish + Had iii                =  Past meaning
b.      Would/could                                =  Present/future temporary wish
c.       ii verb form                                  =  Present repeated wish
d.      were                            =  Future wish 


1
Incorrect
Correct

1.      I am work hard daily.
2.      She come to college late.
3.      Why you shout?
4.      We visit the museum yesterday.
5.      I am working in this college for seven years.
6.      He lives here since 1956.

7.      You are weeping for two hours.
8.      When I reached home, I found that he slept.
9.      They said that they met me yesterday.
10. He left before I phoned him.
11.  On Monday, I saw a boy who was my student long ago.
12.  Have you gone to Lahore before?
13.  Ahmad will save 500 dollars by June.    
14.  We will reach the station before you finish your work.
15.  I hoped that I will win but I lost any way.
16.  She hoped that he will marry her; but he didn't.
17.  I am not seeing that boy.
18.  Are you hearing me?
19.  I am not understanding you.
20. I have and will support you.
21.  I asked him what was he eating?
22. She asked me if I can speak English .


I work hard daily.
She comes to college late.
Why do you shout?
We visited the museum yesterday.
I have been working  in this college for seven years.
He has been living here since 1956.
You have been weeping for two hours.
When I reached home, I found that he had slept.
They said that they had met me yesterday.
He had left before I phoned him.
On Monday, I saw a boy who had been my student long ago.
Have you been to Lahore before?
Ahmad will have saved 500 dollars by June.
We will have reached the station before you finish your work.
I had hoped that I would win but I lost any way.
She had hoped that he would marry her; but he didn't.
I cannot see that boy.
Do/can you hear me?
I cannot/don't understand you.
I have supported and will support you.
I asked him what he was eating.
She asked me if I could speak English .

2
Incorrect
Correct

1.      When I went to see him, he was watching.
2.      Many people are died daily.
3.      He killed and was sent to prison. 
4.      What was happened yesterday?
5.      What you are saying?
6.      Who did come to your home?


When I went to see him, he was watching TV/ a film etc.
Many people die daily.
He killed a man etc. and was sent to prison.
What happened yesterday?
What are you saying?
Who came to your home?

3
Incorrect
Correct

1.      Cricket does not play here.
2.      The students are fining for coming late.
3.      Three persons killed in an accident.
4.      This book has written by the famous writer.

5.      The students will punish today by the teacher.
6.      My car made in Japan.
7.      Libraries not consulted during exams.
8.      I born in Lahore.


Cricket is not played here.
The students are being fined for coming late.
Three persons were killed in an accident.

This book has been written by the famous writer.
The students will be punished today by the teacher.
My car is made in Japan.
Libraries are not consulted during exams.
I was born in Lahore.
9.      Workers are paid from the company.
10. I was sponsored from my relatives in America.
11.  I accepted to the American University.

Workers are paid by the company.
I was sponsored by my relatives in America.
I was accepted to the American University.

4
Incorrect
Correct

1.      He told me that he will come soon.
2.      They said to me that they are late.
3.      I didn't say that I am working.
4.      You said that he live here.
5.      We said with sorrow that what a pity!

He told me that he would come soon.
They told me that they were late.
I didn't say that I was working.
You said that he lived there/ lives here.
We exclaimed with sorrow that it was a pity.

5
Incorrect
Correct

1.      If you heat water, it has boil.
2.      If it rain today, I will stay home.
3.      If you will hurry, we will reach there in time.
4.      If he worked hard, he will pass.
5.      If she eat less, she would lose weight.
6.      If you didn't tell a lie, she will never hate you so much.
7.      If it rained yesterday, we would have enjoyed ourselves.
8.      If I had more money, I would have give it to her.
9.      You will have got a ticket easily if Ali were there.
10. If he was rich, she will marry him.
11.  I will be very happy if it was a holiday today.
12.  You will not succeed unless you don't work hard.
13.  Unless she will not phone me, I cannot go to meet her.
14.  We can't help him unless he will promise to give up all this.
15.  Unless I don't come back don't go.

If you heat water, it boils/ will boil.
If it rains today, I will stay home.
If you hurry, we will reach there in time.
If he worked hard, he would pass.
If she ate less, she would lose weight.
If you didn't tell a lie, she would never hate you so much.
If it had rained yesterday, we would have enjoyed ourselves
If I had had more money, I would have given it to her.
You would have got a ticket easily if Ali had been there.
If he were rich, she would marry him.
I would be very happy if it were a holiday today.
You will not succeed unless you  work hard.
Unless she phones me, I cannot go to meet her.
We can't help him unless he promises to give up all this.
Unless I come back, don't go.

6
Incorrect
Correct


1.      He can to speak English  now.
2.      Would you liking to play tennis with me tomorrow?   
3.      They look tired. They should have traveled all night.
4.      His room lights are on. He can have slept.
5.      He is wearing a black coat. He can be a lawyer.
6.      It’s nine. It will be Jaleel at the door.
7.      Hurry up and let’s go! Your father must come now.
8.      You live near the mosque.You will say your prayers regularly.
9.      She was first in her annual test. She should work hard much.
10. He used to playing foot ball but he plays chess these days.
11.  She uses to meet him daily.
12.   I had better to go and see him because he is in trouble.
13.  He had not better stay here any longer.
14.  You had better don't play here.
15.  A: Would you come?
B:  I’d rather not to go.
16.  I’d rather scrub at home than to go abroad.
17.  A: I’ll help you.
B: I’d rather that you don't.
18.  I’d rather that she stops smoking now.
19.  We’d rather that you should come the day after tomorrow.
20. Would you please don't make a noise?


He can speak English  now.

Would you like to play tennis with me tomorrow?

They look tired. They must have traveled all night.
His room lights are on. He must have slept.
He is wearing a black coat. He must be a lawyer.
It’s nine. It must be Jaleel at the door.
Hurry up and let’s go! Your father must be coming now.

You live near the mosque. You must say your prayers regularly.
She was first in her annual test. She must work hard much.
He used to play foot ball / was used to playing football but he plays chess these days.
She used to meet him daily/ She goes to meet him daily.
I had better go and see him because he is in trouble.
He had better not stay here any longer.
You had better not play here.
A: Would you come?
B:  I’d rather not come.
I’d rather scrub at home than go abroad.
A: I’ll help you.
B: I’d rather that you didn't.


I’d rather that she stopped smoking now.
We’d rather that you came the day after tomorrow.
Please don't make a noise./ Would you please not make a noise?

7
Incorrect
Correct

1.      I suggested that we shall go to a refreshing place.
2.      I propose that the meeting will be held every month.
3.      He requested that God helps/ helped him.
4.      Her husband insisted that she has a car.
5.      It’s important that he goes to university at this age.
6.      You talk as if you are a teacher.
7.      It is high time we learn from our mistakes.

I suggested that we (should)
 go to a refreshing place.
I propose that the meeting (should) be held every month.

He requested that God help him.

Her husband insisted that she have a car.
It’s important that he go to university at this age.

You talk as if you were a teacher.
It is high time we learnt from our mistakes.

8
Incorrect
Correct

1.      He made us to work till late at night.
2.      You make her washing clothes daily.
3.      He made me believing that he was an artist.
4.      They made us laughed      a lot.
5.      I couldn't make myself understand/hear/felt etc.
6.      Don’t worry about it! I will get him do the job.
7.      We should get the house white wash in summer.
8.      He got him kill.
9.      He had his whole house repair.
10. Why are you having this boy kill?
11.  Our teacher usually lets us to spare some time for discussion.
12.  He is angry. Let him to cool for some time.
13.  They let me using their net for a long time.
14.  I always help her that he does his homework in time.
15.  This book help me learnt English quite effectively.

He made us work till late at night.
You make her wash clothes daily.
He made me believe that he was an artist.
They made us laugh a lot.

I couldn't make myself understood/ heard/felt etc.

Don’t worry about it! I will get him to do the job.
We should get the house white washed in summer.

He got him killed.
He had his whole house repaired.
Why are you having this boy killed/ kill someone?
Our teacher usually lets us spare some time for discussion.
He is angry. Let him cool for some time.
They let me use their net for a long time.
I always help her (to) do his homework in time.

This book helped me learn English quite effectively.

9
Incorrect
Correct

1.      I wish you passed the last exam.

2.      I wish I didn't go there.

3.      Ali wish that he bought three houses in this town a long time ago.

4.      I wish you go with us tomorrow.
5.      She wish that she passed her next exam.

6.      I wish my friend will come to see me every day.
7.      He wishes that his brother doesn't beat him like that.
8.      I wish I was a doctor.
9.      She wishes that it was good luck.
10. I wish he was here with me now.

I wish you had passed /would / could have passed /the last exam.
I wish I hadn’t/wouldn’t have gone there.
Ali wishes that he had/could/ would have bought three houses in this town a long time ago.
I wish you would/could go with us tomorrow.
She wishes that she would/could pass her next exam.
I wish my friend came to see me every day.

He wishes that his brother didn't  beat him like that.

I wish I were a doctor.
She wishes that it were good luck.
I wish he were here with me now.

People who read this post also read :



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!