Wednesday, March 23, 2011

English Essay Writing

What   is   an Essay? An essay is a short composition treating of a particular subject in a methodical and orderly manner. Etymologically, it means an attempt to express one’s mind about a given subject-matter. Dr. Johnson, the famous literary essayist, defines it as “a loose sally of mind, an irregular and disorderly composition.” Walker thinks of it as a short, incomplete and unsystematic   composition. Bacon defines it as “'dispersed   meditations”. An essay may be written on any topic.    It may be whimsical or logical, auto­biographical or satirical, highly imaginative or playful.

Kinds of Essays


Essays are generally divided into six classes, viz :


(a)        Narrative      
(b)        Descriptive
(c)         Reflective
(d)        Expository
(e)        Argumentative
(f)      Imaginative.

This division is useful, so long as it is remembered these are not the only divisions, and that there are essays which include the characteristics of more than one class example, a narrative essay may contain a good deal of description, and a descriptive essay may contain in it much of reflection.

Narrative Essays: A Narrative Essay consists of the narration of some event, or series of events. Narrative composition may be on subjects as the following.

(i)    Incidents  (e.g.   a    street    quarrel, a festival, a marriage).
(ii)   All accident   or   disaster of Nature (e.g. a fire, a river in flood, etc.)
(iii)  A journey or voyage
(iv)  A Trip or Walk
(v)    Biographies (e.g., life   of Quaid-e-Azam or Allama Iqbal)
(vi)  A Real or Imaginary Story.

Descriptive Essay: 
A Descriptive Essay may consist of description of some place or thing. Descriptive composition may treat of such subject as the following:

(i)      Animals, plants, metals, etc. (such as the lion, the cow, iron, gold).
(ii)      Towns, buildings etc., of all kinds (such as my city, museums, bridges).
(iii)      Aspects   and   phenomena   of  Nature  (such   as  the monsoon, a waterfall, a moonlit night)
(iv)    Manufactured articles (motor cars, radio, television).
 (v)    Character Sketches.
             Description of Favourite Books.

Reflective Essays: 
A Reflective Essay consists of reflective upon some topic, which is generally of an abstract nature reflective composition may be on such subjects as the follow-:

(i)        Habits, feelings, and capacities (such as thrift, discipline, patriotism).
(ii)       Social, political, and domestic topics (such as riches and poverty, 
                        education, democracy, and co-operative system).
(iii)      Philosophical subjects (such as morality, righteousness, virtue, the
                   meaning and purpose of life).
(iv)      Religious and theological topics (such as the power of prayer, the
                   soul).

Expository Essays:       

An Expository Essay consists of the position or explanation of some subjects. Subjects for Expository essays may be:

1.      Institution, industries, occupations (e.g. Parliament, press, cottage
2.      industries, the sugar industry, garden­ing, photography, electroplating, etc).
3.      Scientific topics (e.g. wireless, the telephone, the radio, astronomy, etc.)
4.      Literary topics (e.g. the nature of poetry, The apprecia­tion of a novel or play, The appreci-ation of an author, the Romantic movement).
5.      Quotations or Sayings (e.g., ‘The child is father of the man’. ‘Time is money,’ ‘Honesty is the best policy.’

Argumentative Essays:

In an Argumentative Essay the writer is required to give his arguments for and against the proposition. The topics for argumentative essays are:

(i)     Who is more useful   to   the   country—the   soldier or the teacher?
(ii)    Who is more useful to the country-the soldier or the teacher?
(iii)   Is war justifiable?

Imaginative Essays:

In an imaginative Essay the writer has full scope for his imagination. In writing such an essay, he has to place himself in a position of which he has had no actual experience. The topics for imaginative composition are:

(i)    If I were the Prime Minister,
(ii)    The Autobiography of a Horse
(iii)  The Adventures of a Rupee.

How to write an Essay?  

The   following   hints   will   be found useful in writing an essay:

1.      Devote at least ten minutes to understanding the subject. Plan out the essay first.
2.      Think over it, until ideas about it come into your mind. Jot down the various points on a piece of paper.
3.      Set down the plan. Arrange and group your ideas under different heads.  Reject the points that are unsuit­able.
4.      Arrange these heads in bare outline.
5.      Collect material to fit your ideas and fill out your
outline.
6.      Now begin to write the essay, dividing it into paragraphs. Try to make every paragraph as clear, well-ordered, and complete as possible. Remember that a paragraph is a small essay, and that you cannot write a good essay unless you can write a good paragraph which is in itself a compact whole. Further, all these paragraphs must be linked up in such a way as to make of he essay an organic unity.
7.      The essay should consist of introduction, body and conclusion. Conclusion.
8.      Make the introduction effective.
9.      Keep the parts of the essay in proper proportion. Do not fill the body of the essay with irrelevant matter.
10. Make the conclusion effective and satisfying. A common-place ending is no good.
8.      Suit your style to the subject. Be simple as well as sincere in what you write. Be clear as well as brief. Be interesting as well as to the point. Do not write what you yourself don’t understand. Make your sentences short. Avoid writing long and involved sentences. Make your essay lively and readable.
9.      Resist all temptation to wander from the point. There is no room for the introduction of irrelevant matter in a short essay.

Style in Writing

You must try to write the whole essay in a simple, direct and forceful style. To acquire this you must pay attention to the following point: -

1.       Beware of using a word or phrase the meaning and application of which you do not thoroughly understand. Many writers are fond of using what they ‘call fine words’, whose meaning they do not know. The use of such words gives rise to foolish mistakes.
2.      Beware of using too many adjectives. Some people have a mistaken notion that the abundant use of superlatives makes their remarks more forceful.
3.      Rather the use of too many adjectives spoils the total effect of the essay.
4.      Do not try to air your knowledge by using a long word or phrase where a shorter and simpler one would express the meaning more effectively.
5.       Avoid the use of unnecessary words. In revising your essay find out useless repetitions and superfluous expressions, and strike them out mercilessly.
6.      Take pains to select such words and phrases as exactly express the ideas you have in mind. Frame your sentences in such a way that they appear quite clear and forceful.
7.      Let your words suit the sense, and your style suits the subject matter. In other words, the words and phrases should be so chosen and arranged as to fit in the subject under discussion. A serious subject should not be treated in a light or humorous style nor should a bright and humorous subject be treated in a heavy style.
8.      Stick to the main point of the essay as far as possible. See that your thoughts do not wander away from the main theme of your essay. Thus, for instance, if you are asked to write an essay on “Country life”, you should avoid unnecessarily dwelling at length upon the various points connected with “town life.”
9.      Be clear in what you write. Do not leave the other people to guess your meaning. Search for the clearest way of expressing each idea. Prefer the concrete word to the abstract.
10.   Be direct: use short sentences in preference to long and involved ones.
11.   Be simple: don’t attempt to write in a flowery langu­age. Avoid the use of metaphors. Shun gaudy phrases and bombastic words. Use simple words and constructions.
12.   Be varied: don’t make every sentence of the same length and of the same construction. Don’t overwork words.
13.   Be natural: do not try to imitate another’s style. Be yourself. Say things in your own way.

People who read this post also read :



62 comments:

James Woodsworth said...

Nice blog, you were explain all types of essay in detail. cheap essay writing service, write my essay, write my essay for me free, do my assignment, assignment for money

Julia Robert said...


Thanks for sharing this nice post. If you want to get maximum marks in IELTS Essay section than focus on IELTS Essay Planning and Preparation.

Anonymous said...

I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's a very easy on
the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often.
Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
Great work!

Also visit my web page term paper titles

Anonymous said...

When someone writes an piece of writing he/she retains the
idea of a user in his/her brain that how a user can be aware of it.
Thus that's why this paragraph is perfect. Thanks!

Feel free to surf to my weblog; charlotte north carolina computer repair

Anonymous said...

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your article seem to
be running off the screen in Internet explorer.
I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to
let you know. The style and design look great though!
Hope you get the issue fixed soon. Many thanks

Look into my page; real estate web directory

Anonymous said...

I visited many websites but the audio quality for
audio songs current at this web site is in fact excellent.


my web-site - movie discussion sites

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get set up? I'm
assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
I'm not very internet smart so I'm not 100% positive. Any
recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

my site: business term paper topics

Anonymous said...

I do consider all the concepts you have presented to your post.
They're really convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are very quick for starters. May you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

Review my website :: 800 number lookup

Anonymous said...

Good way of describing, and pleasant article
to obtain data regarding my presentation topic, which i am going to present
in school.

Feel free to surf to my web-site :: abstract for research paper

Anonymous said...

I think this is among the most significant info for me.
And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The site style
is wonderful, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

Visit my site; movie forums india

Anonymous said...

What's up to all, the contents present at this web site are actually remarkable for people knowledge, well, keep up the nice work fellows.

My web-site; local white pages listings

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Its truly remarkable piece of writing, I have got much clear
idea on the topic of from this article.

Visit my website - Pro Carolina

Anonymous said...

I enjoy what you guys tend to be up too. This type of clever work and coverage!
Keep up the excellent works guys I've incorporated you guys to my personal blogroll.

My webpage; refurbished computers charlotte nc

Anonymous said...

Greetings! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading your blog posts.
Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects?
Thanks!

My homepage - assignment help

Anonymous said...

Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have
you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is fantastic,
as well as the content!

Feel free to visit my webpage: editing paper

Anonymous said...

I blog frequently and I seriously thank
you for your content. The article has truly peaked my interest.
I will bookmark your site and keep checking for new information about
once per week. I opted in for your RSS feed too.

Here is my webpage; movie discussion podcast

Anonymous said...

I've learn several good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot effort you set to make this sort of great informative site.

Also visit my web-site; local usa listing directory

Anonymous said...

Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog!
We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
Your blog provided us useful information to work on.

You have done a marvellous job!

Here is my site horror movie forum

Anonymous said...

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
I'm quite certain I'll learn plenty of new stuff right here!

Good luck for the next!

Feel free to surf to my weblog - real estate directory

Anonymous said...

Hello to every single one, it's truly a nice for me to go to see this web site, it consists of important Information.

Feel free to surf to my blog post ... a local business

Anonymous said...

May I simply just say what a comfort to uncover an individual who actually knows what they're discussing on the web. You actually understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important. A lot more people ought to read this and understand this side of the story. It's surprising you're not more popular because you most certainly possess the gift.

my blog local directory listings

Anonymous said...

I am in fact grateful to the owner of this site
who has shared this great paragraph at at this place.


Also visit my web blog: small business directory usa

Anonymous said...

I visited multiple sites however the audio feature for audio songs existing at this web page
is genuinely excellent.

my blog post: US real estate agent directories

Anonymous said...

When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment is added
I get four e-mails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
Appreciate it!

Here is my homepage; sample argumentative essay

Anonymous said...

Does your website have a contact page? I'm having problems locating it but, I'd like to send you an email.
I've got some suggestions for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.

My web page; us business listings sites

Anonymous said...

I savour, result in I discovered exactly what I was having a look for.
You've ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

Here is my blog post - bisiness local

Anonymous said...

I like looking through a post that can make men and women think.
Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!

my site black swan movie discussions

Anonymous said...

I really like reading a post that will make men and women think.
Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!

my webpage nursing research paper topics ()

Anonymous said...

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert
that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

Visit my webpage: business submit site

Anonymous said...

Yes! Finally something about transamerica movie discussion.



Here is my webpage :: movieforumz.com

Anonymous said...

I almost never leave remarks, but after reading through some of
the responses on this page "English Essay Writing".
I do have a couple of questions for you if it's
okay. Is it simply me or does it appear like a few
of the responses look like they are written by brain dead people?
:-P And, if you are posting on other online sites, I would like
to keep up with you. Would you post a list
of the complete urls of all your shared pages
like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?


Review my web site Demenagement Martin inc

Anonymous said...

Your style is so unique compared to other folks I have read stuff from.
Many thanks forr posting when yoou have the opportunity, Guess
I will just bookmark this blog.

My web page; m88

Anonymous said...

If you are going to study abroad, you should search for necessary information about the chosen university and prepare all the required documents in advance. You also have to choose essay writing service, where you can order your motivation letter. I'd advise you this one: www.professional-essay-writing.com.

aman deep said...

Thanks for post this helpful post - Please visit for More information about -
Packers and Movers Hyderabad
Packers and Movers Mumbai
Packers and Movers Chennai
Packers and Movers Noida

aman deep said...

This article is really fantastic and thanks for sharing the valuable post.
Packers and Movers Delhi
Packers and Movers Bangalore
Packers and Movers Gurgaon
Packers and Movers Pune

aman deep said...

Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write
Packers and Movers Thane
Packers and Movers Navi Mumbai
Packers and Movers Ghaziabad
Packers and Movers Faridabad

Harish Yes said...

Thanks for providing the information with this post. Post is very nice! By the way, I want to share with you information about the best. packers and movers bangalore packers and movers bangalore marathahalli packers and movers marathahalli packers and movers hsr layout packers and movers btm layout packers and movers bommanahalli packers and movers whitefield packers and movers koramangala packers and movers jp nagar

Best Essays said...

Simply wanted to inform you that you have people like me who appreciate your work. Definitely a great post.
bestessays.com.au reviews

John Walker said...

i am glad reading your article. and I really to thank you for your excellent work.

John Walker said...

I have launched a TEFL website please do check it out if you are interested in a TEFL Certificate Thanks John Walker - www.teflmaster.com

Jade Graham said...

A Reflective Essay consists of reflective upon some topic, which is generally of an abstract nature reflective composition may be on such subjects as the follow-: Notes

Nail said...

Your essay writing tips helps college student and author too. I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.At college paper writing service reviews helps student for writing high quality essay on time.


Smita Jadhav said...

Thanks for sharing this post.Nice post.

Top Packers and Movers Bangalore
Movers and Packers in Bangalore
Movers in Bangalore
Packers in Bangalore
Packers Movers Bangalore

Tiger Joshi said...


whatsapp status
whatsapp status in hindi
funny whatsapp status
whatsapp dp
love status for whatsapp
republic day whatsapp status

Nonveg Jokes said...




nonveg jokes in hindi
nonveg jokes in english
nonveg jokes in marathi


Engineer Torikul Islam said...

100 full list of English translate language Urdhu,Hindi,Arabic,Germany......if any one want to download free PDF Click here WWW.FOCUS-BANGLA.COM

movers packers Delhi said...

Best packers and movers in Navi Mumbai, household shifting service in Navi Mumbai, home relocation in Navi Mumbai, car carriers service in Navi Mumbai, car transport in Navi Mumbai. packers and movers Navi Mumbai

Moniruzzaman Moni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robert Moon said...

Nice guideline I practiced a few of them and let me tell you if you follow all of them you are going to create one killer of an essay.

Robert Moon: dojobsonline blog

StatusFun 4u said...

I Read The Whole Article It Was Biking But Seriously I Love It And Here See What I Have I Have A Site Withs Lots Of Status So Check It Out.
statusfun4u

sushilkr said...

Packers and Movers in Pune
Packers and Movers in Hyderabad
Packers and Movers in Bangalore

sushilkr said...

Packers and Movers Hyderabad
Packers and Movers Gurgaon
Packers and Movers Bangalore
Packers and Movers Pune

sushilkr said...

Packers and Movers in Gurgaon
Packers and Movers in Delhi
Packers and Movers in Mumbai

Rajesh M said...

Movers and Packers in Koramangala

Rajesh M said...

Packers and movers in Koramangala

Rajesh M said...

Packers and movers in bommanahalli
Shifting and Relocation is going on continuously throughout India.Movers and Packers Bommanahalli are at the top in relocation services in Bommanahalli.Movers and Packers in Bommanahalli have many branches of relcoation services.For any type of relocation services you can contact Packer and mover Bommanahalli.

Rajesh M said...

Packers and movers in BTM Layout
Packers and movers BTM Layout are the best packers and movers in Bangalore.Movers and packers BTM Layout provide all type of relocation services.Movers packers Bangalore have admittance to entire global location of Bangalore.

Roky B said...

Netflix Movies List, Netflix Release List Update, Whatsapp StatusWhatsapp Status CoolBox Office Collection Box Office Prediction Raees Box Office CollectionRaees Total CollectionBigg Boss 10 Contestants List

Roky B said...

HD Wallpapers DownloadHappy New Year 2017 WallpaperHappy New Year 2017 WishesHappy New Year 2017, Advance Happy New Year WishesDangal Box Office Collection, Dangal Box Office Prediction, Latest Fashion Style

Raju Shaikh said...

like My facebook like page. my fan page is popular.
visit ► https://web.facebook.com/videogurubd
thank you. for admin

Seo Ebdaa said...

very nice ..
www.alex-translation.com/

Sandhya Blogger said...

Happy New Year Gujarati Messages
Happy New Year 2017 Messages
Happy New Year Messages
Happy New Year Messages
Happy New Year Wishes Messages
Messages For New Year
Happy New Year Messages
Happy New Year Wishes with Funny Jokes
Happy New Year 2017 Funny Jokes
Happy New Year 2017 Essay

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!