Monday, March 21, 2011

English Tense: Future Continuous, Perfect and Perfect Continuous Tenses

English Tense: Future Continuous 
{Will/shall + be + Verb + ing)
            The Future Continuous Tense is used to express an event that is expected to take place in the normal course or at some time in the future;
            We shall be playing a football match on Sunday.
            The new edition of this book will be coming out shortly.
            When I reach Murree, it will he raining heavily there.
            Will you be taking part in the debate? (Interrogative)
The farmers will not be watering the plants at this time.


English Tense: Future Perfect
(Shall/will + have + III form of the Verb)
        The Future Perfect Tense expresses an action which is expected to be completed by a certain time in the Future:
        She will have covered half of her journey by Monday next.
            I shall have revised my lesson by 9 P.M. tomorrow.
        The plane will have landed by the time you reach the airport.
(ii)        The Future Perfect Tense sometimes expresses the speaker's belief that some­thing has taken place. In such sentences it does not express the Future:
            “In the newspaper you will have read about the railway accident that took place today”, said my father.
            “You will have discussed the plans how to celebrate the function”, said my mother.
(iii)       It is also used for an action which at a given future time will be in the past:
            In two years’ time (i.e., two years from now) I shall have taken my degree. When we reach Bangalore, we shall have completed the major part of our round tour to South India.
Note:    In a complete sentence we use ‘shall/will’ only in the Principal Clause.
                        I will go to play when I finish my work.
                                                Or
                        I will go to play when I have finished my work.

English Tense: Future Perfect Continuous

(Shall/will + have been + Verb + ing)
            The Future Perfect Continuous Tense is used to express an action that will have been going on at or before some point of time in the Future:
            We shall have been waiting for you for a long time.
        She will have been weeping since 3 P.M.
            Will they have been taking the test for a week?                 (Interrogative)           The boys will not have been flying kites since noon.                 (Negative)

People who read this post also read :



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!