Section 2 Reading
You should spend about 20 minutes on Questions 1-13 which are based on the Reading Passage below.
The Reading Passage has six paragraphs labelled A-F. Which paragraph contains the following information?
Write the correct letter A-F next to Questions 1-9.
NB You may use any letter more than once.
1. the reaction of the Portia spider's prey to strong web vibrations
2. a description of how the researchers set up their experiment
3. a comparison between Portia spiders and another animal species
4. an explanation of how the researchers mimicked natural conditions
5. a comparison between Portia spiders and their prey
6. the reason why concealment is important to Portia spiders
7. a description of the Portia spider's habitat
8. the number of species of Portia spiders
9. an example of the Portia spider's cleverness
Choose the correct letter, A, B, C or D.
10 In their laboratory experiments, the researchers found that the Portia spiders moved most when the web was
11 What discovery did the researchers make about Portia spiders?
A They make very strong vibrations with one leg.
B They move 5 mm at a time on a still web.
C They move slowly when vibrations stop.
D They use energetic vibrations to mimic a trapped insect.
12 Portia spiders are the only known animal to
A use the weather to disguise themselves.
B mimic other prey-eating animals.
C create their own smokescreen.
D stalk using 'trial and error'.
13 The Portia spider demonstrates 'thinking ahead' when it
A chooses prey that is a short distance away.
B takes a longer route to reach its prey.
C reaches its prey in a short time.
D solves the problem of locating its prey.
Answers: 1 – 9
1 E 2 D 3 F 4D 5B 6A 7 B 8B 9 F
Multiple choice: 10 A 11 A 12 C 13D